A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore

K. P. Chan, P. E. Rollin, Thomas Ksiazek, Y. S. Leo, K. T. Goh, N. I. Paton, E. H. Sng, A. E. Ling

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

34 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Following the Nipah virus (NV) outbreak in March 1999 in Singapore, a serological survey was undertaken to screen individuals potentially exposed to NV. Blood samples were tested for NV IgM, IgG and neutralizing antibodies. Twenty-two (1.5%) of 1469 people tested had antibodies suggesting NV infection. Although 12 of the 22 infected people (54.6%) were symptomatic, the remaining 10 (45.4%) were clinically well and had no past history of compatible pulmonary or neurological disease. Clinical and serological findings suggested three people had been infected with NV before the outbreak was recognized. All those who were infected were male abattoir workers. None of the people who had contact with horses, and no healthcare workers exposed to infected patients and their specimens had detectable antibodies. This study provides evidence that NV causes asymptomatic infection. All of the antibody positive individuals had direct contact with pigs and there was no evidence of human to human transmission.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)93-98
Number of pages6
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
Volume128
Issue number1
StatePublished - 2002
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Nipah Virus
Singapore
Virus Diseases
Disease Outbreaks
Antibodies
Asymptomatic Infections
Abattoirs
Neutralizing Antibodies
Horses
Immunoglobulin M
Surveys and Questionnaires
Swine
Immunoglobulin G
Delivery of Health Care
Lung

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Public Health, Environmental and Occupational Health
  • Immunology

Cite this

Chan, K. P., Rollin, P. E., Ksiazek, T., Leo, Y. S., Goh, K. T., Paton, N. I., ... Ling, A. E. (2002). A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore. Epidemiology and Infection, 128(1), 93-98.

A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore. / Chan, K. P.; Rollin, P. E.; Ksiazek, Thomas; Leo, Y. S.; Goh, K. T.; Paton, N. I.; Sng, E. H.; Ling, A. E.

In: Epidemiology and Infection, Vol. 128, No. 1, 2002, p. 93-98.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Chan, KP, Rollin, PE, Ksiazek, T, Leo, YS, Goh, KT, Paton, NI, Sng, EH & Ling, AE 2002, 'A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore', Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 93-98.
Chan KP, Rollin PE, Ksiazek T, Leo YS, Goh KT, Paton NI et al. A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore. Epidemiology and Infection. 2002;128(1):93-98.
Chan, K. P. ; Rollin, P. E. ; Ksiazek, Thomas ; Leo, Y. S. ; Goh, K. T. ; Paton, N. I. ; Sng, E. H. ; Ling, A. E. / A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore. In: Epidemiology and Infection. 2002 ; Vol. 128, No. 1. pp. 93-98.
@article{190fbc9e7e7846ec8ddb8698c00aba41,
title = "A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore",
abstract = "Following the Nipah virus (NV) outbreak in March 1999 in Singapore, a serological survey was undertaken to screen individuals potentially exposed to NV. Blood samples were tested for NV IgM, IgG and neutralizing antibodies. Twenty-two (1.5{\%}) of 1469 people tested had antibodies suggesting NV infection. Although 12 of the 22 infected people (54.6{\%}) were symptomatic, the remaining 10 (45.4{\%}) were clinically well and had no past history of compatible pulmonary or neurological disease. Clinical and serological findings suggested three people had been infected with NV before the outbreak was recognized. All those who were infected were male abattoir workers. None of the people who had contact with horses, and no healthcare workers exposed to infected patients and their specimens had detectable antibodies. This study provides evidence that NV causes asymptomatic infection. All of the antibody positive individuals had direct contact with pigs and there was no evidence of human to human transmission.",
author = "Chan, {K. P.} and Rollin, {P. E.} and Thomas Ksiazek and Leo, {Y. S.} and Goh, {K. T.} and Paton, {N. I.} and Sng, {E. H.} and Ling, {A. E.}",
year = "2002",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "128",
pages = "93--98",
journal = "Epidemiology and Infection",
issn = "0950-2688",
publisher = "Cambridge University Press",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - A survey of Nipah virus infection among various risk groups in Singapore

AU - Chan, K. P.

AU - Rollin, P. E.

AU - Ksiazek, Thomas

AU - Leo, Y. S.

AU - Goh, K. T.

AU - Paton, N. I.

AU - Sng, E. H.

AU - Ling, A. E.

PY - 2002

Y1 - 2002

N2 - Following the Nipah virus (NV) outbreak in March 1999 in Singapore, a serological survey was undertaken to screen individuals potentially exposed to NV. Blood samples were tested for NV IgM, IgG and neutralizing antibodies. Twenty-two (1.5%) of 1469 people tested had antibodies suggesting NV infection. Although 12 of the 22 infected people (54.6%) were symptomatic, the remaining 10 (45.4%) were clinically well and had no past history of compatible pulmonary or neurological disease. Clinical and serological findings suggested three people had been infected with NV before the outbreak was recognized. All those who were infected were male abattoir workers. None of the people who had contact with horses, and no healthcare workers exposed to infected patients and their specimens had detectable antibodies. This study provides evidence that NV causes asymptomatic infection. All of the antibody positive individuals had direct contact with pigs and there was no evidence of human to human transmission.

AB - Following the Nipah virus (NV) outbreak in March 1999 in Singapore, a serological survey was undertaken to screen individuals potentially exposed to NV. Blood samples were tested for NV IgM, IgG and neutralizing antibodies. Twenty-two (1.5%) of 1469 people tested had antibodies suggesting NV infection. Although 12 of the 22 infected people (54.6%) were symptomatic, the remaining 10 (45.4%) were clinically well and had no past history of compatible pulmonary or neurological disease. Clinical and serological findings suggested three people had been infected with NV before the outbreak was recognized. All those who were infected were male abattoir workers. None of the people who had contact with horses, and no healthcare workers exposed to infected patients and their specimens had detectable antibodies. This study provides evidence that NV causes asymptomatic infection. All of the antibody positive individuals had direct contact with pigs and there was no evidence of human to human transmission.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0036197976&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0036197976&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 11895096

AN - SCOPUS:0036197976

VL - 128

SP - 93

EP - 98

JO - Epidemiology and Infection

JF - Epidemiology and Infection

SN - 0950-2688

IS - 1

ER -