Carrier screening for mucolipidosis type IV in the American Ashkenazi Jewish population

Lisa Edelmann, Jianli Dong, Robert J. Desnick, Ruth Kornreich

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

27 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Mutations in the MCOLN1 gene cause mucolipidosis type IV (MLIV), a severely debilitating, autosomal recessive, lysosomal storage disorder. Approximately 80% of patients with MLIV are of Ashkenazi Jewish (AJ) descent, and two mutations, IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434, account for >95% of the mutant alleles in this population. To determine the carrier frequencies of these two mutations, 2,029 anonymous, unrelated, unaffected AJ individuals from the greater New York metropolitan area were screened. A multiplex PCR method coupled with allele-specific oligonucleotide hybridization was developed, to enable large-scale screening. The frequencies of the IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434 mutations were 0.54% and 0.25%, respectively, for a combined carrier frequency of 0.79%, or 1 in 127 individuals (95% CI 0.40%-1.17%). The addition of both AJ mutations causing this neurodegenerative disorder should be considered for prenatal carrier screening in this population.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1023-1027
Number of pages5
JournalAmerican Journal of Human Genetics
Volume70
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - 2002
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Mucolipidoses
Mutation
Population
Alleles
Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction
Mutation Rate
Prenatal Diagnosis
Oligonucleotides
Neurodegenerative Diseases
Genes

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Genetics

Cite this

Carrier screening for mucolipidosis type IV in the American Ashkenazi Jewish population. / Edelmann, Lisa; Dong, Jianli; Desnick, Robert J.; Kornreich, Ruth.

In: American Journal of Human Genetics, Vol. 70, No. 4, 2002, p. 1023-1027.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Edelmann, Lisa ; Dong, Jianli ; Desnick, Robert J. ; Kornreich, Ruth. / Carrier screening for mucolipidosis type IV in the American Ashkenazi Jewish population. In: American Journal of Human Genetics. 2002 ; Vol. 70, No. 4. pp. 1023-1027.
@article{dc38c16c69b344deae14744eb074c2ef,
title = "Carrier screening for mucolipidosis type IV in the American Ashkenazi Jewish population",
abstract = "Mutations in the MCOLN1 gene cause mucolipidosis type IV (MLIV), a severely debilitating, autosomal recessive, lysosomal storage disorder. Approximately 80{\%} of patients with MLIV are of Ashkenazi Jewish (AJ) descent, and two mutations, IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434, account for >95{\%} of the mutant alleles in this population. To determine the carrier frequencies of these two mutations, 2,029 anonymous, unrelated, unaffected AJ individuals from the greater New York metropolitan area were screened. A multiplex PCR method coupled with allele-specific oligonucleotide hybridization was developed, to enable large-scale screening. The frequencies of the IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434 mutations were 0.54{\%} and 0.25{\%}, respectively, for a combined carrier frequency of 0.79{\%}, or 1 in 127 individuals (95{\%} CI 0.40{\%}-1.17{\%}). The addition of both AJ mutations causing this neurodegenerative disorder should be considered for prenatal carrier screening in this population.",
author = "Lisa Edelmann and Jianli Dong and Desnick, {Robert J.} and Ruth Kornreich",
year = "2002",
doi = "10.1086/339519",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "70",
pages = "1023--1027",
journal = "American Journal of Human Genetics",
issn = "0002-9297",
publisher = "Cell Press",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Carrier screening for mucolipidosis type IV in the American Ashkenazi Jewish population

AU - Edelmann, Lisa

AU - Dong, Jianli

AU - Desnick, Robert J.

AU - Kornreich, Ruth

PY - 2002

Y1 - 2002

N2 - Mutations in the MCOLN1 gene cause mucolipidosis type IV (MLIV), a severely debilitating, autosomal recessive, lysosomal storage disorder. Approximately 80% of patients with MLIV are of Ashkenazi Jewish (AJ) descent, and two mutations, IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434, account for >95% of the mutant alleles in this population. To determine the carrier frequencies of these two mutations, 2,029 anonymous, unrelated, unaffected AJ individuals from the greater New York metropolitan area were screened. A multiplex PCR method coupled with allele-specific oligonucleotide hybridization was developed, to enable large-scale screening. The frequencies of the IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434 mutations were 0.54% and 0.25%, respectively, for a combined carrier frequency of 0.79%, or 1 in 127 individuals (95% CI 0.40%-1.17%). The addition of both AJ mutations causing this neurodegenerative disorder should be considered for prenatal carrier screening in this population.

AB - Mutations in the MCOLN1 gene cause mucolipidosis type IV (MLIV), a severely debilitating, autosomal recessive, lysosomal storage disorder. Approximately 80% of patients with MLIV are of Ashkenazi Jewish (AJ) descent, and two mutations, IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434, account for >95% of the mutant alleles in this population. To determine the carrier frequencies of these two mutations, 2,029 anonymous, unrelated, unaffected AJ individuals from the greater New York metropolitan area were screened. A multiplex PCR method coupled with allele-specific oligonucleotide hybridization was developed, to enable large-scale screening. The frequencies of the IVS3 - 2A→G and 511del6434 mutations were 0.54% and 0.25%, respectively, for a combined carrier frequency of 0.79%, or 1 in 127 individuals (95% CI 0.40%-1.17%). The addition of both AJ mutations causing this neurodegenerative disorder should be considered for prenatal carrier screening in this population.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0036206760&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0036206760&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1086/339519

DO - 10.1086/339519

M3 - Article

VL - 70

SP - 1023

EP - 1027

JO - American Journal of Human Genetics

JF - American Journal of Human Genetics

SN - 0002-9297

IS - 4

ER -