Cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years

Productivity of CT

J. Alberto Hernandez, Courtney Chupik, Leonard E. Swischuk

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

55 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The aim of the study was to determine the value of CT in the evaluation of cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years in the Emergency Department. A retrospective review of 606 patients undergoing cervical spine examination in the emergency room was undertaken. The age and sex of the patients were documented, and in addition presence or absence of fracture-dislocation was noted on each of the plain film and CT studies. Of the 606 patients studied, 459 (75.7%) were cleared by a combination of clinical and plain film radiographic findings. The other 147 (24.3%) went on to CT imaging for clearing of the cervical spine. Of the 147 patients evaluated with CT, 143 (97.3%) had exams that were negative for fracture, dislocation, and instability. Only four (2.7%) demonstrated positive findings for fracture, dislocation, or instability. All of these patients had positive, diagnostic findings on initial plain film evaluation. Another five patients demonstrated new findings which were unrelated to trauma and of no clinical consequence. The yield of positive, clinically significant findings on CT of cervical spine injuries in children less than 5 years was low and showed significant findings only in patients where the same findings were seen on initial plain radiographs.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)176-178
Number of pages3
JournalEmergency Radiology
Volume10
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 2004

Fingerprint

Spine
Wounds and Injuries
Motion Pictures
Hospital Emergency Service
X-Ray Film
Fracture Dislocation

Keywords

  • Cervical spine
  • Children
  • CT
  • Trauma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Cite this

Cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years : Productivity of CT. / Hernandez, J. Alberto; Chupik, Courtney; Swischuk, Leonard E.

In: Emergency Radiology, Vol. 10, No. 4, 02.2004, p. 176-178.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Hernandez, J. Alberto ; Chupik, Courtney ; Swischuk, Leonard E. / Cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years : Productivity of CT. In: Emergency Radiology. 2004 ; Vol. 10, No. 4. pp. 176-178.
@article{0153e820db48498da93ce465ab1c2921,
title = "Cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years: Productivity of CT",
abstract = "The aim of the study was to determine the value of CT in the evaluation of cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years in the Emergency Department. A retrospective review of 606 patients undergoing cervical spine examination in the emergency room was undertaken. The age and sex of the patients were documented, and in addition presence or absence of fracture-dislocation was noted on each of the plain film and CT studies. Of the 606 patients studied, 459 (75.7{\%}) were cleared by a combination of clinical and plain film radiographic findings. The other 147 (24.3{\%}) went on to CT imaging for clearing of the cervical spine. Of the 147 patients evaluated with CT, 143 (97.3{\%}) had exams that were negative for fracture, dislocation, and instability. Only four (2.7{\%}) demonstrated positive findings for fracture, dislocation, or instability. All of these patients had positive, diagnostic findings on initial plain film evaluation. Another five patients demonstrated new findings which were unrelated to trauma and of no clinical consequence. The yield of positive, clinically significant findings on CT of cervical spine injuries in children less than 5 years was low and showed significant findings only in patients where the same findings were seen on initial plain radiographs.",
keywords = "Cervical spine, Children, CT, Trauma",
author = "Hernandez, {J. Alberto} and Courtney Chupik and Swischuk, {Leonard E.}",
year = "2004",
month = "2",
doi = "10.1007/s10140-003-0320-5",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "10",
pages = "176--178",
journal = "Emergency Radiology",
issn = "1070-3004",
publisher = "Springer New York",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years

T2 - Productivity of CT

AU - Hernandez, J. Alberto

AU - Chupik, Courtney

AU - Swischuk, Leonard E.

PY - 2004/2

Y1 - 2004/2

N2 - The aim of the study was to determine the value of CT in the evaluation of cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years in the Emergency Department. A retrospective review of 606 patients undergoing cervical spine examination in the emergency room was undertaken. The age and sex of the patients were documented, and in addition presence or absence of fracture-dislocation was noted on each of the plain film and CT studies. Of the 606 patients studied, 459 (75.7%) were cleared by a combination of clinical and plain film radiographic findings. The other 147 (24.3%) went on to CT imaging for clearing of the cervical spine. Of the 147 patients evaluated with CT, 143 (97.3%) had exams that were negative for fracture, dislocation, and instability. Only four (2.7%) demonstrated positive findings for fracture, dislocation, or instability. All of these patients had positive, diagnostic findings on initial plain film evaluation. Another five patients demonstrated new findings which were unrelated to trauma and of no clinical consequence. The yield of positive, clinically significant findings on CT of cervical spine injuries in children less than 5 years was low and showed significant findings only in patients where the same findings were seen on initial plain radiographs.

AB - The aim of the study was to determine the value of CT in the evaluation of cervical spine trauma in children under 5 years in the Emergency Department. A retrospective review of 606 patients undergoing cervical spine examination in the emergency room was undertaken. The age and sex of the patients were documented, and in addition presence or absence of fracture-dislocation was noted on each of the plain film and CT studies. Of the 606 patients studied, 459 (75.7%) were cleared by a combination of clinical and plain film radiographic findings. The other 147 (24.3%) went on to CT imaging for clearing of the cervical spine. Of the 147 patients evaluated with CT, 143 (97.3%) had exams that were negative for fracture, dislocation, and instability. Only four (2.7%) demonstrated positive findings for fracture, dislocation, or instability. All of these patients had positive, diagnostic findings on initial plain film evaluation. Another five patients demonstrated new findings which were unrelated to trauma and of no clinical consequence. The yield of positive, clinically significant findings on CT of cervical spine injuries in children less than 5 years was low and showed significant findings only in patients where the same findings were seen on initial plain radiographs.

KW - Cervical spine

KW - Children

KW - CT

KW - Trauma

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=1642300743&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=1642300743&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s10140-003-0320-5

DO - 10.1007/s10140-003-0320-5

M3 - Article

VL - 10

SP - 176

EP - 178

JO - Emergency Radiology

JF - Emergency Radiology

SN - 1070-3004

IS - 4

ER -