Pathologic analysis of capsular and incisional denudation and positive margin status in the development of a robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy program

Stephen Williams, D. E. Sutherland, H. A. Frazier, A. Schwartz, J. D. Engel

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

The aim of this study is to explore the use of pathologically confirmed capsular incision and denudation as a measure of adequacy of extirpation following robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP). All patients who underwent RALP at the George Washington University Medical Center during the first 2 years of inception of the robotic prostatectomy program were included. All pathologic specimens were reviewed by a single pathologist. One hundred twenty-eight men who underwent RALP during the first 2 years were identified. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the first year (group 1) and all pathologic specimens were reviewed retrospectively. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the second year (group 2) after revision of our operative technique and all pathologic specimens were reviewed prospectively. Of patients in group 1, 18 (28%) had a positive surgical margin (PSM), and 18 (28%) with negative surgical margins were found to have capsular incision or denudation. In group 1, 32 (50%) patients had evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Group 2 consisted of 13 (20%) patients with a PSM and 9 (14%) margin-negative patients with capsular incision or denudation. Group 2 had a total of 22 (34%) patients with evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Overall reduction in positive margins was not statistically significant between the groups. Improvement in capsular incision/denudation rate and overall capsular violation between the two groups was statistically significant (P <0.03 and <0.0055). Surgical margin status alone underestimates the overall quality of surgical resection after RALP because not all capsular violations result in a PSM. Surgeon-guided pathologic review in addition to intraoperative experience may improve oncologic success during the RALP learning curve.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)137-140
Number of pages4
JournalJournal of Robotic Surgery
Volume3
Issue number3
DOIs
StatePublished - Oct 2009
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Prostatectomy
Learning Curve
Robotics
Margins of Excision

Keywords

  • Laparoscopic
  • Positive margins
  • Prostate cancer
  • Prostatectomy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Health Informatics

Cite this

Pathologic analysis of capsular and incisional denudation and positive margin status in the development of a robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy program. / Williams, Stephen; Sutherland, D. E.; Frazier, H. A.; Schwartz, A.; Engel, J. D.

In: Journal of Robotic Surgery, Vol. 3, No. 3, 10.2009, p. 137-140.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{534a57b44d79476aa6c94cf93322a39e,
title = "Pathologic analysis of capsular and incisional denudation and positive margin status in the development of a robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy program",
abstract = "The aim of this study is to explore the use of pathologically confirmed capsular incision and denudation as a measure of adequacy of extirpation following robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP). All patients who underwent RALP at the George Washington University Medical Center during the first 2 years of inception of the robotic prostatectomy program were included. All pathologic specimens were reviewed by a single pathologist. One hundred twenty-eight men who underwent RALP during the first 2 years were identified. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the first year (group 1) and all pathologic specimens were reviewed retrospectively. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the second year (group 2) after revision of our operative technique and all pathologic specimens were reviewed prospectively. Of patients in group 1, 18 (28{\%}) had a positive surgical margin (PSM), and 18 (28{\%}) with negative surgical margins were found to have capsular incision or denudation. In group 1, 32 (50{\%}) patients had evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Group 2 consisted of 13 (20{\%}) patients with a PSM and 9 (14{\%}) margin-negative patients with capsular incision or denudation. Group 2 had a total of 22 (34{\%}) patients with evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Overall reduction in positive margins was not statistically significant between the groups. Improvement in capsular incision/denudation rate and overall capsular violation between the two groups was statistically significant (P <0.03 and <0.0055). Surgical margin status alone underestimates the overall quality of surgical resection after RALP because not all capsular violations result in a PSM. Surgeon-guided pathologic review in addition to intraoperative experience may improve oncologic success during the RALP learning curve.",
keywords = "Laparoscopic, Positive margins, Prostate cancer, Prostatectomy",
author = "Stephen Williams and Sutherland, {D. E.} and Frazier, {H. A.} and A. Schwartz and Engel, {J. D.}",
year = "2009",
month = "10",
doi = "10.1007/s11701-009-0148-4",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "3",
pages = "137--140",
journal = "Journal of Robotic Surgery",
issn = "1863-2483",
publisher = "Springer London",
number = "3",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Pathologic analysis of capsular and incisional denudation and positive margin status in the development of a robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy program

AU - Williams, Stephen

AU - Sutherland, D. E.

AU - Frazier, H. A.

AU - Schwartz, A.

AU - Engel, J. D.

PY - 2009/10

Y1 - 2009/10

N2 - The aim of this study is to explore the use of pathologically confirmed capsular incision and denudation as a measure of adequacy of extirpation following robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP). All patients who underwent RALP at the George Washington University Medical Center during the first 2 years of inception of the robotic prostatectomy program were included. All pathologic specimens were reviewed by a single pathologist. One hundred twenty-eight men who underwent RALP during the first 2 years were identified. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the first year (group 1) and all pathologic specimens were reviewed retrospectively. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the second year (group 2) after revision of our operative technique and all pathologic specimens were reviewed prospectively. Of patients in group 1, 18 (28%) had a positive surgical margin (PSM), and 18 (28%) with negative surgical margins were found to have capsular incision or denudation. In group 1, 32 (50%) patients had evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Group 2 consisted of 13 (20%) patients with a PSM and 9 (14%) margin-negative patients with capsular incision or denudation. Group 2 had a total of 22 (34%) patients with evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Overall reduction in positive margins was not statistically significant between the groups. Improvement in capsular incision/denudation rate and overall capsular violation between the two groups was statistically significant (P <0.03 and <0.0055). Surgical margin status alone underestimates the overall quality of surgical resection after RALP because not all capsular violations result in a PSM. Surgeon-guided pathologic review in addition to intraoperative experience may improve oncologic success during the RALP learning curve.

AB - The aim of this study is to explore the use of pathologically confirmed capsular incision and denudation as a measure of adequacy of extirpation following robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP). All patients who underwent RALP at the George Washington University Medical Center during the first 2 years of inception of the robotic prostatectomy program were included. All pathologic specimens were reviewed by a single pathologist. One hundred twenty-eight men who underwent RALP during the first 2 years were identified. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the first year (group 1) and all pathologic specimens were reviewed retrospectively. Sixty-four patients underwent RALP during the second year (group 2) after revision of our operative technique and all pathologic specimens were reviewed prospectively. Of patients in group 1, 18 (28%) had a positive surgical margin (PSM), and 18 (28%) with negative surgical margins were found to have capsular incision or denudation. In group 1, 32 (50%) patients had evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Group 2 consisted of 13 (20%) patients with a PSM and 9 (14%) margin-negative patients with capsular incision or denudation. Group 2 had a total of 22 (34%) patients with evidence of iatrogenic capsular violation. Overall reduction in positive margins was not statistically significant between the groups. Improvement in capsular incision/denudation rate and overall capsular violation between the two groups was statistically significant (P <0.03 and <0.0055). Surgical margin status alone underestimates the overall quality of surgical resection after RALP because not all capsular violations result in a PSM. Surgeon-guided pathologic review in addition to intraoperative experience may improve oncologic success during the RALP learning curve.

KW - Laparoscopic

KW - Positive margins

KW - Prostate cancer

KW - Prostatectomy

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=76149113230&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=76149113230&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1007/s11701-009-0148-4

DO - 10.1007/s11701-009-0148-4

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:76149113230

VL - 3

SP - 137

EP - 140

JO - Journal of Robotic Surgery

JF - Journal of Robotic Surgery

SN - 1863-2483

IS - 3

ER -