Pfannenstiel versus Vertical Skin Incision for Cesarean Delivery in Women with Class III Obesity

A Randomized Trial

Caroline Marrs, Sean Blackwell, Ashley Hester, Gayle Olson, George Saade, Jonathan Faro, Claudia Pedroza, Baha Sibai

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

1 Citation (Scopus)

Abstract

Objective To compare Pfannenstiel versus vertical skin incision for the prevention of cesarean wound complications in morbidly obese women. Study Design Women with body mass index ≥ 40 kg/m 2 undergoing cesarean delivery (CD) were randomly allocated to Pfannenstiel or vertical skin incision. The primary outcome was a wound complication within 6 weeks. Due to a low consent rate, we limited enrollment to a defined time period for feasibility. We conducted a traditional frequentist analysis with log-binomial regression to obtain relative risks (RRs), and a Bayesian analysis to estimate the probability of treatment benefit. A priori, we decided that a ≥60% probability of treatment benefit for either incision type would be convincing evidence to pursue a larger trial. Results A total of 648 women were approached, 228 were consented, and 91 were randomized. The primary outcome rate was 19% in the Pfannenstiel group and 21% in the vertical group (RR: 1.18; 95% confidence interval: 0.49-2.85). Bayesian analysis revealed a 59% probability that Pfannenstiel had a lower primary outcome rate. Conclusion In the first published randomized trial to compare skin incision types for obese women undergoing CD, we were unable to demonstrate differences in clinical outcomes. Our trial suggests that a larger study would have a low probability for different findings. Trial Registration NCT 01897376 (www.clinicaltrials.gov).

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)97-104
Number of pages8
JournalAmerican Journal of Perinatology
Volume36
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 2019

Fingerprint

Obesity
Skin
Bayes Theorem
Wounds and Injuries
Body Mass Index
Confidence Intervals
Therapeutics

Keywords

  • cesarean
  • complication
  • obesity
  • Pfannenstiel
  • skin incision
  • transverse
  • vertical
  • wound infection

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Pediatrics, Perinatology, and Child Health
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology

Cite this

Pfannenstiel versus Vertical Skin Incision for Cesarean Delivery in Women with Class III Obesity : A Randomized Trial. / Marrs, Caroline; Blackwell, Sean; Hester, Ashley; Olson, Gayle; Saade, George; Faro, Jonathan; Pedroza, Claudia; Sibai, Baha.

In: American Journal of Perinatology, Vol. 36, No. 1, 01.01.2019, p. 97-104.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Marrs, Caroline ; Blackwell, Sean ; Hester, Ashley ; Olson, Gayle ; Saade, George ; Faro, Jonathan ; Pedroza, Claudia ; Sibai, Baha. / Pfannenstiel versus Vertical Skin Incision for Cesarean Delivery in Women with Class III Obesity : A Randomized Trial. In: American Journal of Perinatology. 2019 ; Vol. 36, No. 1. pp. 97-104.
@article{30d701e25e704fe29e64afecf409fc82,
title = "Pfannenstiel versus Vertical Skin Incision for Cesarean Delivery in Women with Class III Obesity: A Randomized Trial",
abstract = "Objective To compare Pfannenstiel versus vertical skin incision for the prevention of cesarean wound complications in morbidly obese women. Study Design Women with body mass index ≥ 40 kg/m 2 undergoing cesarean delivery (CD) were randomly allocated to Pfannenstiel or vertical skin incision. The primary outcome was a wound complication within 6 weeks. Due to a low consent rate, we limited enrollment to a defined time period for feasibility. We conducted a traditional frequentist analysis with log-binomial regression to obtain relative risks (RRs), and a Bayesian analysis to estimate the probability of treatment benefit. A priori, we decided that a ≥60{\%} probability of treatment benefit for either incision type would be convincing evidence to pursue a larger trial. Results A total of 648 women were approached, 228 were consented, and 91 were randomized. The primary outcome rate was 19{\%} in the Pfannenstiel group and 21{\%} in the vertical group (RR: 1.18; 95{\%} confidence interval: 0.49-2.85). Bayesian analysis revealed a 59{\%} probability that Pfannenstiel had a lower primary outcome rate. Conclusion In the first published randomized trial to compare skin incision types for obese women undergoing CD, we were unable to demonstrate differences in clinical outcomes. Our trial suggests that a larger study would have a low probability for different findings. Trial Registration NCT 01897376 (www.clinicaltrials.gov).",
keywords = "cesarean, complication, obesity, Pfannenstiel, skin incision, transverse, vertical, wound infection",
author = "Caroline Marrs and Sean Blackwell and Ashley Hester and Gayle Olson and George Saade and Jonathan Faro and Claudia Pedroza and Baha Sibai",
year = "2019",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1055/s-0038-1667287",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "36",
pages = "97--104",
journal = "American Journal of Perinatology",
issn = "0735-1631",
publisher = "Thieme Medical Publishers",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Pfannenstiel versus Vertical Skin Incision for Cesarean Delivery in Women with Class III Obesity

T2 - A Randomized Trial

AU - Marrs, Caroline

AU - Blackwell, Sean

AU - Hester, Ashley

AU - Olson, Gayle

AU - Saade, George

AU - Faro, Jonathan

AU - Pedroza, Claudia

AU - Sibai, Baha

PY - 2019/1/1

Y1 - 2019/1/1

N2 - Objective To compare Pfannenstiel versus vertical skin incision for the prevention of cesarean wound complications in morbidly obese women. Study Design Women with body mass index ≥ 40 kg/m 2 undergoing cesarean delivery (CD) were randomly allocated to Pfannenstiel or vertical skin incision. The primary outcome was a wound complication within 6 weeks. Due to a low consent rate, we limited enrollment to a defined time period for feasibility. We conducted a traditional frequentist analysis with log-binomial regression to obtain relative risks (RRs), and a Bayesian analysis to estimate the probability of treatment benefit. A priori, we decided that a ≥60% probability of treatment benefit for either incision type would be convincing evidence to pursue a larger trial. Results A total of 648 women were approached, 228 were consented, and 91 were randomized. The primary outcome rate was 19% in the Pfannenstiel group and 21% in the vertical group (RR: 1.18; 95% confidence interval: 0.49-2.85). Bayesian analysis revealed a 59% probability that Pfannenstiel had a lower primary outcome rate. Conclusion In the first published randomized trial to compare skin incision types for obese women undergoing CD, we were unable to demonstrate differences in clinical outcomes. Our trial suggests that a larger study would have a low probability for different findings. Trial Registration NCT 01897376 (www.clinicaltrials.gov).

AB - Objective To compare Pfannenstiel versus vertical skin incision for the prevention of cesarean wound complications in morbidly obese women. Study Design Women with body mass index ≥ 40 kg/m 2 undergoing cesarean delivery (CD) were randomly allocated to Pfannenstiel or vertical skin incision. The primary outcome was a wound complication within 6 weeks. Due to a low consent rate, we limited enrollment to a defined time period for feasibility. We conducted a traditional frequentist analysis with log-binomial regression to obtain relative risks (RRs), and a Bayesian analysis to estimate the probability of treatment benefit. A priori, we decided that a ≥60% probability of treatment benefit for either incision type would be convincing evidence to pursue a larger trial. Results A total of 648 women were approached, 228 were consented, and 91 were randomized. The primary outcome rate was 19% in the Pfannenstiel group and 21% in the vertical group (RR: 1.18; 95% confidence interval: 0.49-2.85). Bayesian analysis revealed a 59% probability that Pfannenstiel had a lower primary outcome rate. Conclusion In the first published randomized trial to compare skin incision types for obese women undergoing CD, we were unable to demonstrate differences in clinical outcomes. Our trial suggests that a larger study would have a low probability for different findings. Trial Registration NCT 01897376 (www.clinicaltrials.gov).

KW - cesarean

KW - complication

KW - obesity

KW - Pfannenstiel

KW - skin incision

KW - transverse

KW - vertical

KW - wound infection

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85059796451&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85059796451&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1055/s-0038-1667287

DO - 10.1055/s-0038-1667287

M3 - Article

VL - 36

SP - 97

EP - 104

JO - American Journal of Perinatology

JF - American Journal of Perinatology

SN - 0735-1631

IS - 1

ER -