Presteady-State Kinetic Evidence for a Ring-Opening Activity in Fructose-1,6-(bis)phosphate Aldolase

Kyung Choi, Dean R. Tolan

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

8 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase, a glycolytic enzyme, catalyzes the cleavage of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, resulting in two three-carbon products. The reaction of the class I enzymes, which utilize a Schiff-base intermediate, requires that the hexose be in the open-chain form. This form comprises only 1?2% of the sugar at equilibrium. The chemical form of the substrate that binds to aldolase and begins the catalytic cycle has not been unequivocally demonstrated. Transient-state kinetics in single-turnover experiments of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate with aldolase in excess reveals the rates of the intermediate steps in the cleavage reaction, including those from initial binding to Schiff-base formation. The rate of hexose Schiff-base formation was faster than the uncatalyzed rate for ring-opening of either the α- or β-furanose at 4 °C. In addition, approach-to-equilibrium experiments reveal that aldolase binds and reacts first with 70% of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate in a fast reaction, consistent with the amount of β-anomer in solution, and with the remaining 30%, presumably the α-anomer, in a slow reaction. These results indicate that aldolase must catalyze the ring-opening step and that there may be a previously unrecognized second active site on the enzyme for catalyzing this reaction.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3402-3403
Number of pages2
JournalJournal of the American Chemical Society
Volume126
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Mar 22 2004
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Fructose-Bisphosphate Aldolase
Fructose
Phosphates
Schiff Bases
Kinetics
Enzymes
Hexoses
Sugars
Experiments
Catalytic Domain
Carbon
Substrates
fructose-1,6-diphosphate

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Chemistry(all)

Cite this

Presteady-State Kinetic Evidence for a Ring-Opening Activity in Fructose-1,6-(bis)phosphate Aldolase. / Choi, Kyung; Tolan, Dean R.

In: Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 126, No. 11, 22.03.2004, p. 3402-3403.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{c48e4e12c50d47fc9108b5e9a0fdcbd8,
title = "Presteady-State Kinetic Evidence for a Ring-Opening Activity in Fructose-1,6-(bis)phosphate Aldolase",
abstract = "Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase, a glycolytic enzyme, catalyzes the cleavage of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, resulting in two three-carbon products. The reaction of the class I enzymes, which utilize a Schiff-base intermediate, requires that the hexose be in the open-chain form. This form comprises only 1?2{\%} of the sugar at equilibrium. The chemical form of the substrate that binds to aldolase and begins the catalytic cycle has not been unequivocally demonstrated. Transient-state kinetics in single-turnover experiments of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate with aldolase in excess reveals the rates of the intermediate steps in the cleavage reaction, including those from initial binding to Schiff-base formation. The rate of hexose Schiff-base formation was faster than the uncatalyzed rate for ring-opening of either the α- or β-furanose at 4 °C. In addition, approach-to-equilibrium experiments reveal that aldolase binds and reacts first with 70{\%} of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate in a fast reaction, consistent with the amount of β-anomer in solution, and with the remaining 30{\%}, presumably the α-anomer, in a slow reaction. These results indicate that aldolase must catalyze the ring-opening step and that there may be a previously unrecognized second active site on the enzyme for catalyzing this reaction.",
author = "Kyung Choi and Tolan, {Dean R.}",
year = "2004",
month = "3",
day = "22",
doi = "10.1021/ja038540u",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "126",
pages = "3402--3403",
journal = "Journal of the American Chemical Society",
issn = "0002-7863",
publisher = "American Chemical Society",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Presteady-State Kinetic Evidence for a Ring-Opening Activity in Fructose-1,6-(bis)phosphate Aldolase

AU - Choi, Kyung

AU - Tolan, Dean R.

PY - 2004/3/22

Y1 - 2004/3/22

N2 - Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase, a glycolytic enzyme, catalyzes the cleavage of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, resulting in two three-carbon products. The reaction of the class I enzymes, which utilize a Schiff-base intermediate, requires that the hexose be in the open-chain form. This form comprises only 1?2% of the sugar at equilibrium. The chemical form of the substrate that binds to aldolase and begins the catalytic cycle has not been unequivocally demonstrated. Transient-state kinetics in single-turnover experiments of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate with aldolase in excess reveals the rates of the intermediate steps in the cleavage reaction, including those from initial binding to Schiff-base formation. The rate of hexose Schiff-base formation was faster than the uncatalyzed rate for ring-opening of either the α- or β-furanose at 4 °C. In addition, approach-to-equilibrium experiments reveal that aldolase binds and reacts first with 70% of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate in a fast reaction, consistent with the amount of β-anomer in solution, and with the remaining 30%, presumably the α-anomer, in a slow reaction. These results indicate that aldolase must catalyze the ring-opening step and that there may be a previously unrecognized second active site on the enzyme for catalyzing this reaction.

AB - Fructose 1,6-bisphosphate aldolase, a glycolytic enzyme, catalyzes the cleavage of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, resulting in two three-carbon products. The reaction of the class I enzymes, which utilize a Schiff-base intermediate, requires that the hexose be in the open-chain form. This form comprises only 1?2% of the sugar at equilibrium. The chemical form of the substrate that binds to aldolase and begins the catalytic cycle has not been unequivocally demonstrated. Transient-state kinetics in single-turnover experiments of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate with aldolase in excess reveals the rates of the intermediate steps in the cleavage reaction, including those from initial binding to Schiff-base formation. The rate of hexose Schiff-base formation was faster than the uncatalyzed rate for ring-opening of either the α- or β-furanose at 4 °C. In addition, approach-to-equilibrium experiments reveal that aldolase binds and reacts first with 70% of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate in a fast reaction, consistent with the amount of β-anomer in solution, and with the remaining 30%, presumably the α-anomer, in a slow reaction. These results indicate that aldolase must catalyze the ring-opening step and that there may be a previously unrecognized second active site on the enzyme for catalyzing this reaction.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=1642309764&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=1642309764&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1021/ja038540u

DO - 10.1021/ja038540u

M3 - Article

VL - 126

SP - 3402

EP - 3403

JO - Journal of the American Chemical Society

JF - Journal of the American Chemical Society

SN - 0002-7863

IS - 11

ER -