Rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within a city park

Is the urban dweller at risk?

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

10 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Tick-borne diseases, such as spotted fever rickettsioses and ehrlichioses, are potentially severe and life-threatening infections. The incidences of these infections increase during warm weather months as ticks become active. Clinicians often consider outdoor activities in rural areas to be a risk factor for exposure to ticks and the pathogens they carry, but are those who live, work, and play within an urban environment excluded from this risk? In this study, we collected ticks from two urban parks in Little Rock, AR, to assess the presence of rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within an urban setting. A total of 273 ticks were collected during July, 2011. Amblyomma americanum was the predominant tick species, with 255 (93%) of those collected. The remaining 18 (7%) were Dermacentor variabilis. Ticks were separated and pooled into groups for further testing. Forty-two of the 43 (98%) A. americanum pools demonstrated molecular evidence for the presence of rickettsiae. None of the D. variabilis contained rickettsiae. Restriction enzyme fragment length polymorphism analysis and DNA sequencing revealed Rickettsia amblyommii to be the species present. One A. americanum pool from park A demonstrated the presence of Ehrlichia chaffeensis, the pathogen responsible for human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. These results indicate that tick-borne pathogens are not limited to rural or suburban areas.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)168-170
Number of pages3
JournalVector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases
Volume14
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - Feb 1 2014

Fingerprint

Ehrlichia
Rickettsia
Ticks
Ehrlichiosis
Ehrlichia chaffeensis
Dermacentor
Tick-Borne Diseases
Weather
Infection
Recreational Parks
DNA Sequence Analysis
Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphisms
Fever
Incidence
Enzymes

Keywords

  • Amblyomma americanum
  • City Park
  • Dermacentor variabilis
  • Ehrlichiae
  • Rickettsiae

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Infectious Diseases
  • Microbiology
  • Virology

Cite this

@article{205063b864d14f82901510ba28d9b4e8,
title = "Rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within a city park: Is the urban dweller at risk?",
abstract = "Tick-borne diseases, such as spotted fever rickettsioses and ehrlichioses, are potentially severe and life-threatening infections. The incidences of these infections increase during warm weather months as ticks become active. Clinicians often consider outdoor activities in rural areas to be a risk factor for exposure to ticks and the pathogens they carry, but are those who live, work, and play within an urban environment excluded from this risk? In this study, we collected ticks from two urban parks in Little Rock, AR, to assess the presence of rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within an urban setting. A total of 273 ticks were collected during July, 2011. Amblyomma americanum was the predominant tick species, with 255 (93{\%}) of those collected. The remaining 18 (7{\%}) were Dermacentor variabilis. Ticks were separated and pooled into groups for further testing. Forty-two of the 43 (98{\%}) A. americanum pools demonstrated molecular evidence for the presence of rickettsiae. None of the D. variabilis contained rickettsiae. Restriction enzyme fragment length polymorphism analysis and DNA sequencing revealed Rickettsia amblyommii to be the species present. One A. americanum pool from park A demonstrated the presence of Ehrlichia chaffeensis, the pathogen responsible for human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. These results indicate that tick-borne pathogens are not limited to rural or suburban areas.",
keywords = "Amblyomma americanum, City Park, Dermacentor variabilis, Ehrlichiae, Rickettsiae",
author = "Lucas Blanton and David Walker and Donald Bouyer",
year = "2014",
month = "2",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1089/vbz.2013.1473",
language = "English",
volume = "14",
pages = "168--170",
journal = "Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases",
issn = "1530-3667",
publisher = "Mary Ann Liebert Inc.",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within a city park

T2 - Is the urban dweller at risk?

AU - Blanton, Lucas

AU - Walker, David

AU - Bouyer, Donald

PY - 2014/2/1

Y1 - 2014/2/1

N2 - Tick-borne diseases, such as spotted fever rickettsioses and ehrlichioses, are potentially severe and life-threatening infections. The incidences of these infections increase during warm weather months as ticks become active. Clinicians often consider outdoor activities in rural areas to be a risk factor for exposure to ticks and the pathogens they carry, but are those who live, work, and play within an urban environment excluded from this risk? In this study, we collected ticks from two urban parks in Little Rock, AR, to assess the presence of rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within an urban setting. A total of 273 ticks were collected during July, 2011. Amblyomma americanum was the predominant tick species, with 255 (93%) of those collected. The remaining 18 (7%) were Dermacentor variabilis. Ticks were separated and pooled into groups for further testing. Forty-two of the 43 (98%) A. americanum pools demonstrated molecular evidence for the presence of rickettsiae. None of the D. variabilis contained rickettsiae. Restriction enzyme fragment length polymorphism analysis and DNA sequencing revealed Rickettsia amblyommii to be the species present. One A. americanum pool from park A demonstrated the presence of Ehrlichia chaffeensis, the pathogen responsible for human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. These results indicate that tick-borne pathogens are not limited to rural or suburban areas.

AB - Tick-borne diseases, such as spotted fever rickettsioses and ehrlichioses, are potentially severe and life-threatening infections. The incidences of these infections increase during warm weather months as ticks become active. Clinicians often consider outdoor activities in rural areas to be a risk factor for exposure to ticks and the pathogens they carry, but are those who live, work, and play within an urban environment excluded from this risk? In this study, we collected ticks from two urban parks in Little Rock, AR, to assess the presence of rickettsiae and ehrlichiae within an urban setting. A total of 273 ticks were collected during July, 2011. Amblyomma americanum was the predominant tick species, with 255 (93%) of those collected. The remaining 18 (7%) were Dermacentor variabilis. Ticks were separated and pooled into groups for further testing. Forty-two of the 43 (98%) A. americanum pools demonstrated molecular evidence for the presence of rickettsiae. None of the D. variabilis contained rickettsiae. Restriction enzyme fragment length polymorphism analysis and DNA sequencing revealed Rickettsia amblyommii to be the species present. One A. americanum pool from park A demonstrated the presence of Ehrlichia chaffeensis, the pathogen responsible for human monocytotropic ehrlichiosis. These results indicate that tick-borne pathogens are not limited to rural or suburban areas.

KW - Amblyomma americanum

KW - City Park

KW - Dermacentor variabilis

KW - Ehrlichiae

KW - Rickettsiae

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84894161115&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84894161115&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1089/vbz.2013.1473

DO - 10.1089/vbz.2013.1473

M3 - Article

VL - 14

SP - 168

EP - 170

JO - Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases

JF - Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases

SN - 1530-3667

IS - 2

ER -