Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns

P. Blakeney, W. Meyer, P. Moore, L. Broemeling, R. Hunt, M. Robson, D. Herndon

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

65 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Sixty children (35 boys, 25 girls) with burns were surveyed at least 1 year after burn injury to assess the behavior problems and difficulties with competency that they were having. The Child Behavior Checklist, the Youth Self Report, and the Teacher Report Form developed by Achenbach were administered to obtain standardized measures of behavior and competence. The mean values for these scales were in the normal range for each age and sex. However, the Child Behavior Checklist revealed a statistically significant (p < 0.05) increase in problems and decrease in competency for most age groups and both sexes when compared with the reference population. In contrast, the Teacher Report Form and the Youth Self Report revealed very few differences from the reference population. The burn size (15% to 20% total body surface area, 35% to 50% total body surface area, and >70% total body surface area) did not account for any of the group differences. Further studies involving detailed clinical interviews and other standardized measures are needed to understand the discrepancies between the Child Behavior Checklist and the other scales.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)65-72
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation
Volume14
Issue number1
StatePublished - 1993

Fingerprint

Social Problems
Child Behavior
Checklist
Burns
Survivors
Pediatrics
Body Surface Area
Mental Competency
Self Report
Reference Values
Interviews
Wounds and Injuries
Problem Behavior
Social Skills

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Emergency Medicine
  • Rehabilitation
  • Surgery
  • Nursing(all)
  • Health Professions(all)

Cite this

Blakeney, P., Meyer, W., Moore, P., Broemeling, L., Hunt, R., Robson, M., & Herndon, D. (1993). Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns. Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, 14(1), 65-72.

Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns. / Blakeney, P.; Meyer, W.; Moore, P.; Broemeling, L.; Hunt, R.; Robson, M.; Herndon, D.

In: Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1993, p. 65-72.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Blakeney, P, Meyer, W, Moore, P, Broemeling, L, Hunt, R, Robson, M & Herndon, D 1993, 'Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns', Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 65-72.
Blakeney P, Meyer W, Moore P, Broemeling L, Hunt R, Robson M et al. Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns. Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation. 1993;14(1):65-72.
Blakeney, P. ; Meyer, W. ; Moore, P. ; Broemeling, L. ; Hunt, R. ; Robson, M. ; Herndon, D. / Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns. In: Journal of Burn Care and Rehabilitation. 1993 ; Vol. 14, No. 1. pp. 65-72.
@article{0ffdf6dcfd9446bcab009252dc74e394,
title = "Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns",
abstract = "Sixty children (35 boys, 25 girls) with burns were surveyed at least 1 year after burn injury to assess the behavior problems and difficulties with competency that they were having. The Child Behavior Checklist, the Youth Self Report, and the Teacher Report Form developed by Achenbach were administered to obtain standardized measures of behavior and competence. The mean values for these scales were in the normal range for each age and sex. However, the Child Behavior Checklist revealed a statistically significant (p < 0.05) increase in problems and decrease in competency for most age groups and both sexes when compared with the reference population. In contrast, the Teacher Report Form and the Youth Self Report revealed very few differences from the reference population. The burn size (15{\%} to 20{\%} total body surface area, 35{\%} to 50{\%} total body surface area, and >70{\%} total body surface area) did not account for any of the group differences. Further studies involving detailed clinical interviews and other standardized measures are needed to understand the discrepancies between the Child Behavior Checklist and the other scales.",
author = "P. Blakeney and W. Meyer and P. Moore and L. Broemeling and R. Hunt and M. Robson and D. Herndon",
year = "1993",
language = "English",
volume = "14",
pages = "65--72",
journal = "Journal of Burn Care and Research",
issn = "1559-047X",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Social competence and behavioral problems of pediatric survivors of burns

AU - Blakeney, P.

AU - Meyer, W.

AU - Moore, P.

AU - Broemeling, L.

AU - Hunt, R.

AU - Robson, M.

AU - Herndon, D.

PY - 1993

Y1 - 1993

N2 - Sixty children (35 boys, 25 girls) with burns were surveyed at least 1 year after burn injury to assess the behavior problems and difficulties with competency that they were having. The Child Behavior Checklist, the Youth Self Report, and the Teacher Report Form developed by Achenbach were administered to obtain standardized measures of behavior and competence. The mean values for these scales were in the normal range for each age and sex. However, the Child Behavior Checklist revealed a statistically significant (p < 0.05) increase in problems and decrease in competency for most age groups and both sexes when compared with the reference population. In contrast, the Teacher Report Form and the Youth Self Report revealed very few differences from the reference population. The burn size (15% to 20% total body surface area, 35% to 50% total body surface area, and >70% total body surface area) did not account for any of the group differences. Further studies involving detailed clinical interviews and other standardized measures are needed to understand the discrepancies between the Child Behavior Checklist and the other scales.

AB - Sixty children (35 boys, 25 girls) with burns were surveyed at least 1 year after burn injury to assess the behavior problems and difficulties with competency that they were having. The Child Behavior Checklist, the Youth Self Report, and the Teacher Report Form developed by Achenbach were administered to obtain standardized measures of behavior and competence. The mean values for these scales were in the normal range for each age and sex. However, the Child Behavior Checklist revealed a statistically significant (p < 0.05) increase in problems and decrease in competency for most age groups and both sexes when compared with the reference population. In contrast, the Teacher Report Form and the Youth Self Report revealed very few differences from the reference population. The burn size (15% to 20% total body surface area, 35% to 50% total body surface area, and >70% total body surface area) did not account for any of the group differences. Further studies involving detailed clinical interviews and other standardized measures are needed to understand the discrepancies between the Child Behavior Checklist and the other scales.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027497998&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027497998&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 8454670

AN - SCOPUS:0027497998

VL - 14

SP - 65

EP - 72

JO - Journal of Burn Care and Research

JF - Journal of Burn Care and Research

SN - 1559-047X

IS - 1

ER -