Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index: Using administratiee data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction

Annie N. Simpson, Janina Wilmskoetter, Ickpyo Hong, Chih-ying Li, Edward C. Jauch, Heather S. Bonilha, Kelly Anderson, Jillian Hareey, Kit N. Simpson

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Aim: Current stroke seeerity scales cannot be used for archieal data. We deeelop and ealidate a measure of stroke seeerity at hospital discharge (Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index [SASI]) for use in billing data. Methods: We used the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as the theoretical framework and identified 285 releeant International Classification of Diseases, 9th Reeision diagnosis and procedure codes, grouping them into 23 indicator eariables using cluster analysis. A 60% sample of stroke patients in Medicare data were used for modeling risk of 30-day postdischarge mortality or discharge to hospice, with ealidation performed on the remaining 40% and on data with NIHSS scores. Results: Model fit was good (p > 0.05) and concordance was strong (C-statistic = 0.76-0.83). The SASI predicted NIHSS at discharge (C = 0.83). Conclusion: The SASI model and score proeide important tools to control for stroke seeerity at time of hospital discharge. It can be used as a risk-Adjustment eariable in administratiee data analyses to measure postdischarge outcomes.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)293-304
Number of pages12
JournalJournal of Comparative Effectiveness Research
Volume7
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Apr 1 2018

Fingerprint

Stroke
Risk Adjustment
Hospices
International Classification of Diseases
Medicare
Cluster Analysis
Outcome Assessment (Health Care)
Mortality

Keywords

  • health sereices research
  • risk adjustment
  • stroke

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Health Policy

Cite this

Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index : Using administratiee data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction. / Simpson, Annie N.; Wilmskoetter, Janina; Hong, Ickpyo; Li, Chih-ying; Jauch, Edward C.; Bonilha, Heather S.; Anderson, Kelly; Hareey, Jillian; Simpson, Kit N.

In: Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research, Vol. 7, No. 4, 01.04.2018, p. 293-304.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Simpson, Annie N. ; Wilmskoetter, Janina ; Hong, Ickpyo ; Li, Chih-ying ; Jauch, Edward C. ; Bonilha, Heather S. ; Anderson, Kelly ; Hareey, Jillian ; Simpson, Kit N. / Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index : Using administratiee data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction. In: Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research. 2018 ; Vol. 7, No. 4. pp. 293-304.
@article{b0fcd14790fa464dbb129f3c0eddcd6a,
title = "Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index: Using administratiee data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction",
abstract = "Aim: Current stroke seeerity scales cannot be used for archieal data. We deeelop and ealidate a measure of stroke seeerity at hospital discharge (Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index [SASI]) for use in billing data. Methods: We used the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as the theoretical framework and identified 285 releeant International Classification of Diseases, 9th Reeision diagnosis and procedure codes, grouping them into 23 indicator eariables using cluster analysis. A 60{\%} sample of stroke patients in Medicare data were used for modeling risk of 30-day postdischarge mortality or discharge to hospice, with ealidation performed on the remaining 40{\%} and on data with NIHSS scores. Results: Model fit was good (p > 0.05) and concordance was strong (C-statistic = 0.76-0.83). The SASI predicted NIHSS at discharge (C = 0.83). Conclusion: The SASI model and score proeide important tools to control for stroke seeerity at time of hospital discharge. It can be used as a risk-Adjustment eariable in administratiee data analyses to measure postdischarge outcomes.",
keywords = "health sereices research, risk adjustment, stroke",
author = "Simpson, {Annie N.} and Janina Wilmskoetter and Ickpyo Hong and Chih-ying Li and Jauch, {Edward C.} and Bonilha, {Heather S.} and Kelly Anderson and Jillian Hareey and Simpson, {Kit N.}",
year = "2018",
month = "4",
day = "1",
doi = "10.2217/cer-2017-0058",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "7",
pages = "293--304",
journal = "Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research",
issn = "2042-6305",
publisher = "Future Medicine Ltd.",
number = "4",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index

T2 - Using administratiee data for 30-day poststroke outcomes prediction

AU - Simpson, Annie N.

AU - Wilmskoetter, Janina

AU - Hong, Ickpyo

AU - Li, Chih-ying

AU - Jauch, Edward C.

AU - Bonilha, Heather S.

AU - Anderson, Kelly

AU - Hareey, Jillian

AU - Simpson, Kit N.

PY - 2018/4/1

Y1 - 2018/4/1

N2 - Aim: Current stroke seeerity scales cannot be used for archieal data. We deeelop and ealidate a measure of stroke seeerity at hospital discharge (Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index [SASI]) for use in billing data. Methods: We used the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as the theoretical framework and identified 285 releeant International Classification of Diseases, 9th Reeision diagnosis and procedure codes, grouping them into 23 indicator eariables using cluster analysis. A 60% sample of stroke patients in Medicare data were used for modeling risk of 30-day postdischarge mortality or discharge to hospice, with ealidation performed on the remaining 40% and on data with NIHSS scores. Results: Model fit was good (p > 0.05) and concordance was strong (C-statistic = 0.76-0.83). The SASI predicted NIHSS at discharge (C = 0.83). Conclusion: The SASI model and score proeide important tools to control for stroke seeerity at time of hospital discharge. It can be used as a risk-Adjustment eariable in administratiee data analyses to measure postdischarge outcomes.

AB - Aim: Current stroke seeerity scales cannot be used for archieal data. We deeelop and ealidate a measure of stroke seeerity at hospital discharge (Stroke Administratiee Seeerity Index [SASI]) for use in billing data. Methods: We used the NIH Stroke Scale (NIHSS) as the theoretical framework and identified 285 releeant International Classification of Diseases, 9th Reeision diagnosis and procedure codes, grouping them into 23 indicator eariables using cluster analysis. A 60% sample of stroke patients in Medicare data were used for modeling risk of 30-day postdischarge mortality or discharge to hospice, with ealidation performed on the remaining 40% and on data with NIHSS scores. Results: Model fit was good (p > 0.05) and concordance was strong (C-statistic = 0.76-0.83). The SASI predicted NIHSS at discharge (C = 0.83). Conclusion: The SASI model and score proeide important tools to control for stroke seeerity at time of hospital discharge. It can be used as a risk-Adjustment eariable in administratiee data analyses to measure postdischarge outcomes.

KW - health sereices research

KW - risk adjustment

KW - stroke

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85044717791&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=85044717791&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.2217/cer-2017-0058

DO - 10.2217/cer-2017-0058

M3 - Article

C2 - 29057660

AN - SCOPUS:85044717791

VL - 7

SP - 293

EP - 304

JO - Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research

JF - Journal of Comparative Effectiveness Research

SN - 2042-6305

IS - 4

ER -