Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease

A treatment algorithm

Javier E. Anaya-Ayala, Patricia H. Bellows, Nyla Ismail, Zulfiqar Cheema, Joseph J. Naoum, Jean Bismuth, Alan B. Lumsden, Michael J. Reardon, Mark G. Davies, Eric K. Peden

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

39 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Background: Creation and preservation of dialysis access in patients with central venous occlusive disease (CVOD) is a complex problem. The surgical approach and decision-making process remains poorly defined. We evaluated our experience in the surgical management of hemodialysis-related CVOD. Surgical technique, demographics, complications, reinterventions, access function rates, and factors influencing morbidity and mortality were examined. Methods: From January 2006 to May 2010, we performed a total of 1,703 dialysis access-related procedures, 1,021 arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), 335 arteriovenous grafts (AVGs), and 314 access revisions including endovascular salvage procedures. Seventeen patients (10 women [58%] with a mean age of 44 ± 27 years) with CVOD who were not suitable for peritoneal dialysis or kidney transplant underwent 20 complex vascular access procedures. The indications were need for access creation in 14 cases (70%) and preservation in the remaining 6 (30%). Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) was used for all surgical bypass grafts (BPG). All patients had previously undergone multiple access surgeries and had failed percutaneous interventions for CVOD. Results: The surgical planning centered on finding venous outflow for an arteriovenous (AV) access; central venous reconstructions were necessary in 10 (50%) cases (seven [35%] in the thoracic central venous system and three [15%] in infradiaphragmatic vessels) and extracavitary venous BPG in two (10%) cases. Non-venous access options included axillary arterial-arterial chest wall BPG in five (25%) cases and brachial artery to right atrium BPG in three (15%). Technical success was achieved in all cases (100%). Mean follow-up was 14.1 months, both BPG and AV access patency rates were 66% at 6 months and overall average AV access function time was 9.2 months. Of these, 85% of patients were discharged home and following 19 (95%) cases they returned or improved their baseline functional status. One death occurred from multiorgan failure during the 30-day postoperative period. Four additional patients died within 3 years of the procedure secondary to nonsurgical-related comorbidities. Conclusion: The need for complex vascular accesses will continue as the number of patients with end-stage renal disease increases. CVOD is an access surgical challenge and with this article we propose a decision-making algorithm.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)108-119
Number of pages12
JournalAnnals of Vascular Surgery
Volume25
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 2011
Externally publishedYes

Fingerprint

Renal Dialysis
Transplants
Therapeutics
Blood Vessels
Dialysis
Decision Making
Endovascular Procedures
Brachial Artery
Arteriovenous Fistula
Polytetrafluoroethylene
Thoracic Wall
Peritoneal Dialysis
Heart Atria
Postoperative Period
Chronic Kidney Failure
Comorbidity
Thorax
Demography
Morbidity
Kidney

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
  • Surgery

Cite this

Anaya-Ayala, J. E., Bellows, P. H., Ismail, N., Cheema, Z., Naoum, J. J., Bismuth, J., ... Peden, E. K. (2011). Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease: A treatment algorithm. Annals of Vascular Surgery, 25(1), 108-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2010.11.002

Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease : A treatment algorithm. / Anaya-Ayala, Javier E.; Bellows, Patricia H.; Ismail, Nyla; Cheema, Zulfiqar; Naoum, Joseph J.; Bismuth, Jean; Lumsden, Alan B.; Reardon, Michael J.; Davies, Mark G.; Peden, Eric K.

In: Annals of Vascular Surgery, Vol. 25, No. 1, 01.2011, p. 108-119.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Anaya-Ayala, JE, Bellows, PH, Ismail, N, Cheema, Z, Naoum, JJ, Bismuth, J, Lumsden, AB, Reardon, MJ, Davies, MG & Peden, EK 2011, 'Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease: A treatment algorithm', Annals of Vascular Surgery, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 108-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avsg.2010.11.002
Anaya-Ayala, Javier E. ; Bellows, Patricia H. ; Ismail, Nyla ; Cheema, Zulfiqar ; Naoum, Joseph J. ; Bismuth, Jean ; Lumsden, Alan B. ; Reardon, Michael J. ; Davies, Mark G. ; Peden, Eric K. / Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease : A treatment algorithm. In: Annals of Vascular Surgery. 2011 ; Vol. 25, No. 1. pp. 108-119.
@article{f31f8e2926024dc8b68c5cf2c677bf8b,
title = "Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease: A treatment algorithm",
abstract = "Background: Creation and preservation of dialysis access in patients with central venous occlusive disease (CVOD) is a complex problem. The surgical approach and decision-making process remains poorly defined. We evaluated our experience in the surgical management of hemodialysis-related CVOD. Surgical technique, demographics, complications, reinterventions, access function rates, and factors influencing morbidity and mortality were examined. Methods: From January 2006 to May 2010, we performed a total of 1,703 dialysis access-related procedures, 1,021 arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), 335 arteriovenous grafts (AVGs), and 314 access revisions including endovascular salvage procedures. Seventeen patients (10 women [58{\%}] with a mean age of 44 ± 27 years) with CVOD who were not suitable for peritoneal dialysis or kidney transplant underwent 20 complex vascular access procedures. The indications were need for access creation in 14 cases (70{\%}) and preservation in the remaining 6 (30{\%}). Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) was used for all surgical bypass grafts (BPG). All patients had previously undergone multiple access surgeries and had failed percutaneous interventions for CVOD. Results: The surgical planning centered on finding venous outflow for an arteriovenous (AV) access; central venous reconstructions were necessary in 10 (50{\%}) cases (seven [35{\%}] in the thoracic central venous system and three [15{\%}] in infradiaphragmatic vessels) and extracavitary venous BPG in two (10{\%}) cases. Non-venous access options included axillary arterial-arterial chest wall BPG in five (25{\%}) cases and brachial artery to right atrium BPG in three (15{\%}). Technical success was achieved in all cases (100{\%}). Mean follow-up was 14.1 months, both BPG and AV access patency rates were 66{\%} at 6 months and overall average AV access function time was 9.2 months. Of these, 85{\%} of patients were discharged home and following 19 (95{\%}) cases they returned or improved their baseline functional status. One death occurred from multiorgan failure during the 30-day postoperative period. Four additional patients died within 3 years of the procedure secondary to nonsurgical-related comorbidities. Conclusion: The need for complex vascular accesses will continue as the number of patients with end-stage renal disease increases. CVOD is an access surgical challenge and with this article we propose a decision-making algorithm.",
author = "Anaya-Ayala, {Javier E.} and Bellows, {Patricia H.} and Nyla Ismail and Zulfiqar Cheema and Naoum, {Joseph J.} and Jean Bismuth and Lumsden, {Alan B.} and Reardon, {Michael J.} and Davies, {Mark G.} and Peden, {Eric K.}",
year = "2011",
month = "1",
doi = "10.1016/j.avsg.2010.11.002",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "25",
pages = "108--119",
journal = "Annals of Vascular Surgery",
issn = "0890-5096",
publisher = "Elsevier Inc.",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Surgical management of hemodialysis-related central venous occlusive disease

T2 - A treatment algorithm

AU - Anaya-Ayala, Javier E.

AU - Bellows, Patricia H.

AU - Ismail, Nyla

AU - Cheema, Zulfiqar

AU - Naoum, Joseph J.

AU - Bismuth, Jean

AU - Lumsden, Alan B.

AU - Reardon, Michael J.

AU - Davies, Mark G.

AU - Peden, Eric K.

PY - 2011/1

Y1 - 2011/1

N2 - Background: Creation and preservation of dialysis access in patients with central venous occlusive disease (CVOD) is a complex problem. The surgical approach and decision-making process remains poorly defined. We evaluated our experience in the surgical management of hemodialysis-related CVOD. Surgical technique, demographics, complications, reinterventions, access function rates, and factors influencing morbidity and mortality were examined. Methods: From January 2006 to May 2010, we performed a total of 1,703 dialysis access-related procedures, 1,021 arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), 335 arteriovenous grafts (AVGs), and 314 access revisions including endovascular salvage procedures. Seventeen patients (10 women [58%] with a mean age of 44 ± 27 years) with CVOD who were not suitable for peritoneal dialysis or kidney transplant underwent 20 complex vascular access procedures. The indications were need for access creation in 14 cases (70%) and preservation in the remaining 6 (30%). Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) was used for all surgical bypass grafts (BPG). All patients had previously undergone multiple access surgeries and had failed percutaneous interventions for CVOD. Results: The surgical planning centered on finding venous outflow for an arteriovenous (AV) access; central venous reconstructions were necessary in 10 (50%) cases (seven [35%] in the thoracic central venous system and three [15%] in infradiaphragmatic vessels) and extracavitary venous BPG in two (10%) cases. Non-venous access options included axillary arterial-arterial chest wall BPG in five (25%) cases and brachial artery to right atrium BPG in three (15%). Technical success was achieved in all cases (100%). Mean follow-up was 14.1 months, both BPG and AV access patency rates were 66% at 6 months and overall average AV access function time was 9.2 months. Of these, 85% of patients were discharged home and following 19 (95%) cases they returned or improved their baseline functional status. One death occurred from multiorgan failure during the 30-day postoperative period. Four additional patients died within 3 years of the procedure secondary to nonsurgical-related comorbidities. Conclusion: The need for complex vascular accesses will continue as the number of patients with end-stage renal disease increases. CVOD is an access surgical challenge and with this article we propose a decision-making algorithm.

AB - Background: Creation and preservation of dialysis access in patients with central venous occlusive disease (CVOD) is a complex problem. The surgical approach and decision-making process remains poorly defined. We evaluated our experience in the surgical management of hemodialysis-related CVOD. Surgical technique, demographics, complications, reinterventions, access function rates, and factors influencing morbidity and mortality were examined. Methods: From January 2006 to May 2010, we performed a total of 1,703 dialysis access-related procedures, 1,021 arteriovenous fistulas (AVFs), 335 arteriovenous grafts (AVGs), and 314 access revisions including endovascular salvage procedures. Seventeen patients (10 women [58%] with a mean age of 44 ± 27 years) with CVOD who were not suitable for peritoneal dialysis or kidney transplant underwent 20 complex vascular access procedures. The indications were need for access creation in 14 cases (70%) and preservation in the remaining 6 (30%). Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) was used for all surgical bypass grafts (BPG). All patients had previously undergone multiple access surgeries and had failed percutaneous interventions for CVOD. Results: The surgical planning centered on finding venous outflow for an arteriovenous (AV) access; central venous reconstructions were necessary in 10 (50%) cases (seven [35%] in the thoracic central venous system and three [15%] in infradiaphragmatic vessels) and extracavitary venous BPG in two (10%) cases. Non-venous access options included axillary arterial-arterial chest wall BPG in five (25%) cases and brachial artery to right atrium BPG in three (15%). Technical success was achieved in all cases (100%). Mean follow-up was 14.1 months, both BPG and AV access patency rates were 66% at 6 months and overall average AV access function time was 9.2 months. Of these, 85% of patients were discharged home and following 19 (95%) cases they returned or improved their baseline functional status. One death occurred from multiorgan failure during the 30-day postoperative period. Four additional patients died within 3 years of the procedure secondary to nonsurgical-related comorbidities. Conclusion: The need for complex vascular accesses will continue as the number of patients with end-stage renal disease increases. CVOD is an access surgical challenge and with this article we propose a decision-making algorithm.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=78650489317&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=78650489317&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1016/j.avsg.2010.11.002

DO - 10.1016/j.avsg.2010.11.002

M3 - Article

VL - 25

SP - 108

EP - 119

JO - Annals of Vascular Surgery

JF - Annals of Vascular Surgery

SN - 0890-5096

IS - 1

ER -